Thread: Common health problems for large breed dogs

Common health problems for large breed dogs

I wanted to get a large breed dog. I wonder what diseases or conditions they are commonly predisposed to and if they are easy to spot? large breed dogs as we know is quite a weight so i thought about considering this thing.

Heart Problems. Dogs, like humans, can suffer from heart disease and this seems to be more common in large dog breeds. If your dog becomes limp or unconscious this may be due to a gradual or sudden obstruction in the flow of blood to the brain. Sometimes the dog will recover from this very quickly and fresh air will help.

If the dog's limbs remain stiff but he does not lose consciousness, this could be sign of poor blood supply to the heart muscle. In either case, seek veterinary assistance.

Generally, I'd say, it depends more on the breed of the dog rather than the size of the dog. Due to the "hybridization" of our dogs, there can be various complications, or of course otherwise. It's probably best to decide on some breeds that you particularly like and then carry out some research as to their characteristics. All the best!